About the Department
Vidyasagar university established in the year 1981.This young & growing university is located on the outskirts of
Midnapore & named after one of the great sons of Bengal, the early 19th century a social reformer & pioneer of education,
Pandit Iswarchandra Vidyasagar .Its immediate aim is to foster higher education in south West Bengal & provide intellectual
leadership to the development of the region. The ultimate aim is to contribute to quality education in the state & the country.
Post-graduate teaching of Aquaculture Management & Technology in our University was started in the year 2003 as a unit in the
Department of Zoology. Unit turns into full-fledged department in the year 2008. Infrastructural facility of this department is quite good.
We are very much optimistic about the prosperity of our department.
New inclusion from emerging fields in curriculum :
- Pollution and their impacts on aquatic resources. Social impacts, human diseases and possible preventive measures.
- General principles of genetic engineering, recombinant DNA and gene cloning methods, restriction/modification enzymes, PCR, sequencing, DNA fingerprinting,
- Biotechnology in aquaculture product development, biofertilization, , biofermentation and biofilters.
- Fish cell culture; development of cell lines and their applications.
- Traditional aquaculture medicines, commercially available aquaculture medicine in India like- Probiotic, sanitizers, oxigenerators
We have up-grade our syllabus during the session 2006 – 2007 and few burning topics have been included in our course curricula.